Thursday, May 6, 2010

missing my cell phone...

I really love my cell phone… it sits on my cruise boat bedside just because I feel like I’ve lost an appendage when I can’t use it. Seriously, it’s so hard. I am sure if the ship had service that I could even contribute to the Captain’s duties by helping him navigate. Blackberrys can do anything, people… anything. Do you see how it would actually benefit him if I had service? ;o)

That said, I went through withdrawals the first day onboard. No texting, phone service, or face book. Weird. I was fine though… I’m mature enough to realize that I wasn’t going to get it no matter how much whining I did, so I just accepted it. Now I actually (pretend to) enjoy the disconnectedness.

Confession time… I sometimes ride the elevators just so I can push the buttons. It makes me feel better. “What floor?” I’ll ask. “Floor 10 please” a passenger will say, and I’ll lunge for the buttons before another passenger can do it. Now I just stand in front of the panel with my back to the passengers and help them out by hitting the floors when they need me to.



One lady got in the elevator and said “Floor 5” and we were so packed that I HAD to push the button for her, but I made a texting motion and cracked a joke about elevator buttons being my proxy so I wouldn’t miss my phone so much. The whole elevator started laughing, and I knew I wasn’t the only one who missed my phone.


Yes, that’s right, people… those were the laughs of Iphone deprived humans praying for a quicker arrival in Puerto Vallarta where they had service.

For me… well, I will continue to dream of little clickety clicks of the keypad under my fingertips and keep controlling the elevator button controls every time I get the chance.

Oh… and I would be remiss to not mention a run in with the Elevator Nazi the second day we were onboard. We got on a lift and it was pretty full, but a handicapped woman with a walker needed to get on, so Faith and I cheerily invited her on, helped her lock her walker and take a seat before we started the elevator again. She was so thankful, but another lady onboard was definitely not. She was probably disappointed that she wouldn’t be able to pack on those 7-14 lbs a bit faster, and upon getting off the elevator for the buffet about 30 seconds slower than she would‘ve liked, she sneered “well isn’t this just the NICEST elevator ever.”

Elevator Nazi. Fact.

No comments: