Friday, November 2, 2012

Day 29: Fairytales

My friend Ruth came over tonight. We needed a girls night.

She is so special to me! She was born in Kenya, so naturally when she got engaged to a friend of mine and moved to America, it was quite the special occasion. Now as they plan their future family and go on with life, I'm reminded of all the ways people are brought together... from so many different areas of this earth.

Ruth and I watched Ever After: A Cinderella Story tonight and had heaping bowls of chocolate ice cream. The perfect girls night! She loves Disney movies, so I thought she might like to see a fairytale movie with live people, not animation.

In many ways Cinderella's story is Ruth's. Ruth got her fairytale... she met her prince, he whisked her away to a beautiful land and she felt like royalty in so many ways. She got married on a beach in Hawaii, and a little girl saw her and said "Mommy, is that a princess?" to which her mother said "Yes, hunny... that IS a princess!" How perfect.

But the fairytales always have more to them, don't they? Afterwards, there's the challenge of a new land, a new culture, a new family and dreaming new dreams for your life once your surroundings change. It doesn't all freeze frame after the wedding. When the movie or the book ends, you don't get to see the princess go on with life and prove she's got what it takes.

Ruth has what it takes. I'm so impressed with her and her husband... her prince.

I'm thankful I get to watch Ruth's fairytale play out... it's a fairytale that puts all others to shame!

No comments: